Tuesday, May 5, 2009

20 Questions~Milly Callum

20 Questions


"J-Jesus?" I stammered. My tongue seemed to be tripping over itself. He was standing there, scars in his wrist and a warm smile on his face.
"Yes?" He replied, laughing. "Who did you expect?" He asked. I sighed. Being with him was easier. It didn’t feel like a guessing game, but more like just having a friend.
"I’m not sure. I guess I just forgot that there were three of you." I said, still trying to wrap my head around the trinity.
"Three of us?" He asked, seeming genuinely curious.
"Well, yeah." I said. "You, God, and the Holy Spirit."
"That’s only one." He said, smiling. "You count it as three. To us, it’s only one." I thought about this for a minute.
"Us! You said us. That means there’s more than one." I said, finally feeling as though I had a substantial argument.
"Yes." He said. He seemed to be waiting for a response.
"But you just said that there was only one."
"There is." He said. I couldn’t quite make out the smile on his face. Finally I got it. My face broke out into the same smile his face held. "Did you get it?"
"Yeah." I said. "Three in one, one yet three." I grinned. "You’re just messing with me." He nodded.
"That I am. I’m glad you got that. We could’ve gone on all day with that." The same smile appeared on his face again.
"Yeah, we-" I cut myself off, understanding the joke. "You know exactly how long it would’ve gone on." I accused. He nodded, laughing.
"You’re getting better." He said. I hadn’t realized until that moment that we were actually walking down the road toward my house.
"I guess." I said, trying to act nonchalant. "I have a question, though, about the conversation I had with your dad earlier."
"Me." He corrected.
"Fine, the conversation I had with you, then." He nodded and we continued to walk down the road without stopping.
"Continue." He urged.
"Why is it that people turn away from you? I mean, you said that the reason people suffered is because they didn’t put their all into you. But why are people so against doing that?" I asked.
"Ahh. I knew that question would come up sooner or later." I wanted to point out that he knew all the questions that would come up sooner or later--it kinda came with the all-knowing thing--but I had the feeling that he was going to continue. True to my expectation, he kept talking.
"Well. There’s a lot of reasons that people don’t come to me. They don’t know me. They think it’s a waste of time. I scare them. There’s so many reasons. Some people are mad at me." I asked the obvious question.
"But why are they mad at you?"
"They think maybe I’m doing something that’s not in their best interest. Like I said, it mostly stems from the fact that they don’t know me."
"But some people say they just don’t want to know you. What about them?" I asked. This was going to get complicated in a second. I could feel it.
"The people who say they don’t want to know me think they already know enough about me to think that I’m not worth their time. Does that make any sense?" He asked, looking down at me.
"I’m not sure. I think it makes a little sense." We kept walking until we got to my mansion. We stood staring at the doors for the longest time before either of us spoke.
"You want to have some time by yourself?" He asked.
"I won’t really be alone, will I?" I asked, already knowing the answer.
"Not really. I’ll still be here. It just makes it easier for some people if I’m not there physically. It makes them feel a little bit less like they’re being watched." He chuckled. "Really, I’m always watching you." He said.
"That actually makes me feel a little better." I said. "But I would like some time by myself." I continued.
"I know." That same smile he had been wearing before crossed his face. "You know where to find me if you need me." He turned and walked back the direction he had come.
I watched him until he turned and was out of sight, then I walked up the steps to my house and walked through the front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment